Monday, November 1, 2010

29 Ekim cumhuriyet bayrami

It was my first time being in Istanbul for republic day. During my 1st year here, 29 Oct was in the middle of the week so I couldn't go away. Then on my 2nd and 3rd year, I went to Bodrum for my scuba diving.

Being in Istanbul, the city where history happened, (well, history is throughout the country but Istanbul used to be Constantinople :p) being there was amazing for this special day that's changed Turkey's history. It was Friday night and thank God there was no rain! Everyone was outside at Bagdat Cadde (a large and popular street on the Asian side of Istanbul) and there were Turkish flags everywhere, with Ataturk's picture everywhere, people were chanting in unison, really amazing. It gave me goosebumps! I haven't seen it like that before. I know how Bagdat Cadde gets when Turkey's national soccer team wins, lol, but nothing like this that's affected the history.

The parade ended, then Seda, me and Ozge went home to play monopoly :) ..which was the Turkish version of course :D


Perfect night with perfect people

No comments:

Post a Comment