Thursday, October 21, 2010

irem-effect

I have this little book of "101 things to do before you die" and one of them is to make a word make it to the dictionary. So.....I thought "why not?" :)...well I could at least try.

I've realized that when people hang around me for a while, maybe a couple of days to a week, they start talking like me! Especially here in Turkey. When my friends and I talk about a project, for example, I don't understand everything clearly in Turkish so I make them explain to me in English. I have the tendency to speak half in Egnlish and the other half in Turkish...you know, like most of the arabs I know speak English with Arabic, so it's the same concept. The people around me started talking half in English like I do now, and I named it the "Irem-effect". and let me tell you, people have already started using that word :p ...well, only when they realize they're speaking in English, I tell them about the effect, and so they started using that word.

I don't know what I have to do to make a word put in the dictionary, but I guess this could be a start :) let me define you the word:

Irem-effect --> to speak in a way you usually don't speak due to the effect of someone around you that speaks different than you do.

does that make sense? I hope it does.

Not to mention, who uses dictionaries now? you know, the book version??

1 comment:

  1. i think you have to come across an unidentified creature somewhere in the jungle and then name it some weird ass name so it can be added in the dictionary.....

    Orrrr since u're so into food maybe u can give the mixture of almonds and honey a name?!!!! =P i wonder what that would be =P

    ReplyDelete