Sunday, October 3, 2010

Commitment

How do you measure how committed you are to something? It could be anything like how committed are you to your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, to your friendships, to doing something you love, to family...to anything really.

I got a little sick these past two days but this morning was the worst. I keep coughing and my voice is horrible! I spoke to my mom via skype for a bit and she got upset that I'm sick, especially that I'm alone (without family). Anyway then I called my dad but my mom had already passed the new to him, he was at the office. I told him I was going to go to the gym and he got a little angry and told me I was crazy for wanting to go. I called my mom back and she told me to go, I did. I didn't pressure myself AT ALL. I just did 35 minutes on the treadmill and left it at that.

Question: is it better to walk or jog on the treadmill? Sometimes I feel like my legs are being pulled, even though I stretch before a workout.

I saw one of my friends from class so I spoke to him for a bit. What's interesting is that he still thought I was a foreigner. It's my 4th year in this university and people still think I'm American or simply just not Turkish and it's kind of starting to get a little annoying. I AM 100% Turkish! I may have some trouble speaking in Turkish time to time and my spelling and vocabulary is lacking, but that doesn't mean I'm not Turkish. People here automatically think either my mom or my dad is not Turkish, and ahh I just got tired of the same conversation and questions.

Back to the topic.
I think I'm more committed to going to the gym than ever before. Even though I was feeling down this morning, I just had this feeling of the need to go to the gym, even if it's not the usual workout that I do, and even though it was just for 30 mins. 30 minuntes is better than 0 minutes so the duration I did isn't upsetting me at all.

Another thing that I find myself committed to is scuba diving. I started diving in 2008 and in 2009 I completed the course and got my liscense. In the summer of 2009 I dove in the aquarium with the sharks (one of the best experiences in my life, literally) and when I went to Egypt to see a friend, i got the opportunity to dive in Sharm. This year I bumped into one of the girls from the scuba club at uni and she said that the guys were thinking about making me the head of the club! When I heard that I really felt a "wow" pass through my head and ME? Kind of cool. But even if they offer me there's no way I would be able to handle all the people and plus going to the student thing (Konsey in Turkish. I don't know what I'd say in English) and negotiate in Turkish would be difficult for me. It's my last year and I don't want to be dealing with such things. When my family and I went to Sri Lanka in June, we really wanted to dife but unfortuatnely it wasn't their summer season (which November through Februrary) so diving was crossed off our list. Maybe next time though.

What are you committed to the most?

1 comment:

  1. you know what im committed to the mosttt:D

    ReplyDelete